11 Sept 2011

Eating update

I've been meaning to do an update on eating forever but just never got around to it.

We've been making gradual progress recently- for the longest time C and E refused to eat ANY fruit or veg. Enya occasionally could be convinced to eat apple but THAT WAs IT!! Finito no other veg/fruit passed their lips.

I discovered a book which gave me some peace of mind- it is full of sneaky recipes to get healthy stuff past the kids radar. Brownies with spinach and blueberries and the like. The best part is I don't feel guilty when they ask for more, I quite happily let them try more (yes, I know the amounts per brownie are quite small but it's still more than they would be getting if they didn't eat them). This gave me the courage to branch out and try some other things- pizza now always has an extra layer of pureed veg under the tomato sauce and cereal always has a bottle of baby fruit in it. The best part of it is they like the baby fruit so much they get a bottle to eat at kindergarten instead of the normal youghurt at break time.

They have also rediscovered avo and banana puree which is now a hot favorite at dinner time and are even trying corn on the cob. Previously they would refuse to try anything new, now they are prepared to lick new things and if the taste agrees, will then try a spoon. I know it's baby steps but we are making progress. Enya has even extended to begging Z for his tuna jacket potato, potatoes were a huge no-no. I must have the only kids in the world that refuse to eat french fries and crisps.

So in summary we are slowly expanding the repertoire of fruits and vegs that will be tried although we still have a LONG way to go. Hey it took me over 30 years to start eating anything other than peas, corn, carrots and apple so I guess genes do breed true ;0)

PS the girls have shot up again: Ciara is now 109cm tall (43 inches) and Enya is
104cm (41 inches).

No comments: